Thursday, November 10, 2016

Post-Election Thoughts


It has been a long few months, but the Presidential election is finally over and a winner has emerged and it seems that most of the country is not happy about it. I was looking forward to the elections being over so that the constant political warfare would end, but sadly after the ballots have all been cast it appears that the hateful exchanges and accusations have only increased! Below are a couple of my rambling thoughts in light of the election.

Both Presidential candidates were (and are) corrupt and deplorable individuals. Neither of them were people I would enthusiastically nominate to be leaders of our country or role models to my children. If there is one thing this election has so definitively made clear to me, it is that we cannot place stock in the transient promises of men. We can only rely on truth, love, and our belief in God to sustain us through this life. Jesus is my king, my role model, my strength, my guidance. In Him alone can I rely. This is the lesson I will continue to stress to my children at the end of this election. How fervently we need God in a world that is continually trying to shut Him out.


In addition to a firm reliance on God, this election has also taught me that we need to be more passionate, more focused, and more resolved to teach our children virtue, truth, love, and compassion. Our children are the future of the world and it is our responsibility to instill in them the tools they need to combat the hate, the lies, the greed, and the widespread moral relativism in our extremely flawed society. We need to teach them how to debate fairly, to remain steadfast in their viewpoints while simultaneously loving and patiently influencing those who disagree with them. More than ever we need parents, godparents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, and friends to step up to the plate and pour their hearts and souls into teaching our children right versus wrong because heaven knows there is only so much child-rearing PBS can do for us. We are raising the future leaders of our country and our world. It is up to us to form them into the great men and women our world so desperately needs! We've got to give voters better options in the future.


In the end, I beg you all to pray for the President-elect. He is a deeply flawed individual who has now been entrusted with the great responsibility of leading our country. Pray for the sincerity of his heart, for a humble acceptance of the duties before him, and for the development of a strong moral compass within his soul. This may seem like an unlikely personal transformation to some, but for God nothing is impossible. May Mr. Trump do much good with the power that has been given to him. In addition, please make a conscience effort to be kind, loving, and gracious to all around you. There are a lot of people out there who are genuinely frightened by the results of this election, so try to be the face of Christ to them and provide a bit of comfort and solace.

One of my dear friends shared this prayer with me and I wanted to share it here as well because it is so incredibly fitting in light of recent events:

I do not know what will happen to me today. I only know that nothing will happen, that was not forseen by you, and directed to my greater good for all eternity! I adore your holy and unfathomable plans and submit to them with all my heart for the love of you and the immaculate heart of Mary! Amen

Pray for our country. And pray for our children, the hope of tomorrow.

And who knows? Perhaps you will see Matthew running for President in another 20 years.


6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Thank you. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What??? Monica, that last bit was overwhelmingly and disgustingly sexist.
    Now I'm going to go riot and start another fire because I find that intolerant...
    #Sarcasm #GodBlessAmerica

    ReplyDelete