Saturday, August 16, 2014

Six Years


Six years ago today, I married my best friend and soul mate. I remember waking up the morning of our wedding feeling excited, happy, and so incredibly joyful. Since I woke up before anyone else in the house, I immediately went into the kitchen and baked a couple loaves of banana bread for the family to enjoy for breakfast. I remember being so impressed that I did not feel nervous in the least! The butterflies that had taken up residence in my stomach over the previous couple of weeks had suddenly departed and I was peaceful, calm, and happily looking forward to the beginning of my new life as a Mrs.

Across town, my husband-to-be was in a completely different mental state. He was anything but zen.  Unable to eat, unable to relax, he was driving his poor family crazy with his stressful demeanor. He was practically having a full out anxiety attack while getting ready to head over to the church. When I arrived at the church and saw my sister-in-law Amy, I asked her how Paul was doing that morning and she replied: "Ummm...he's a little grumpy."

Happy Me.

Stressed Paul.

Long story short, Paul managed to walk calmly down the aisle at the appropriate time and stand next to Peter, his identical twin, while waiting for his bride (me!) to arrive. He claims that the moment he saw me walking towards him, all his nerves suddenly calmed and he felt peaceful and happy. It's kind of funny, because I had the opposite reaction when I saw him. Suddenly, I was very nervous - still excited - but very nervous and in a state of disbelief that we were actually, finally to be married! Walking down the aisle while clutching my father's arm was so surreal. We had known we wanted to marry one another for three years - and now it was finally happening!

And here we are, six years later. We have two pretty cute kids - which shouldn't be surprising given how incredibly cute my hubby is. I knew he'd make some adorable children. I love him more and more each day and cannot imagine walking through life without him. I could not have chosen a more loyal, honest, hard-working, dedicated husband and father than my Paul. He is always striving towards self-improvement and cares so deeply for me and the kids. How lucky I am to be married to my favorite person in the whole world!

I love you, Paul! Happy Anniversary!


2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Monica & Paul!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you a lot of credit for baking on the morning of your wedding. The best and happiest of wishes to you and Paul!

    ReplyDelete