Monday, December 23, 2013

Andes Mint Cookies

Matthew is all about Santa Claus this year. And while that has been great fun, Paul and I also want him to begin understanding the true meaning and origin of Christmas. So, we have been reading him stories about the birth of Jesus and saying our nighttime prayers in front of our nativity scene hoping that some of this will begin to sink into his little noggin, although I am suspecting that quite a bit of room has been taken up with thoughts of flying reindeer, dancing snowmen named Frosty, and little elves constructing toys in a workshop at the North Pole.


We have a Little People nativity playset that my parents gave to Matthew as a gift for his first Christmas. Both he and Emma have enjoyed playing with it very much during this Advent season. The other day, while straightening up the family room after putting the two of them down for a nap, I spied the results of Matthew's play for the day.


Apparently, he thought Mary and Joseph needed an upgrade from that slow donkey. Thomas the tank engine will surely get them to Bethlehem faster!


And who is better suited to guard the baby Jesus, lying helplessly in his manger, but a ferocious dinosaur!


Little kids crack me up! Although it is no laughing matter. Matthew has been taking all the Christmas preparations very seriously. Just look at his concentration while decorating sugar cookies...


Emma, on the other hand, is content just to eat the cookies. We had to cut her off after four. She has teeth now and I really would hate for her to receive her two front teeth and her first cavity for Christmas.




The recipe for today is another new addition to our Christmas baking list that is sure to be a keeper for years to come: Andes Mint Cookies. Paul loves all types of candy - gummy worms, blowpops, starkists, and so on. But when it comes to chocolate, he can pretty much take it or leave it. However, he is always talking about how much he loves Andes Mints. Of course, I scoff at this. Of all the delicious and yummy chocolate confections out there, why does Paul's favorite have to be the after dinner mint they pass out at Olive Garden when the waiter brings your check? If I am craving chocolate, I don't think I will ever think: "Gee, I could really go for some Andes Mints right now." NO. 

But, since I love my Paul so much, I gave this recipe for Andes Mint Cookies top priority in the baking timetable because I was pretty sure that he would love them. And he did. 

He took one bite and rolled his eyes towards me and said in a very silly voice: "I love you."

My husband is almost as easy to please as my son.

If you are a fan of the mint and chocolate combination, you will swoon for these cookies. While not the prettiest cookies in the world, they are certainly delicious with a piping hot mug of cocoa or a cool glass of milk. I gave most of our first batch away much to Paul's dismay. He is pleading for me to bake another batch this afternoon. However, since this recipe is so easy, I'm thinking of giving him an opportunity to flex those domestic muscles by baking himself a batch!


Andes Mint Cookies
from Bakeaholic Mama

2 cups flour
2/3 cups cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chopped Andes Mint Chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

Sift together in a medium bowl, flour, baking soda,salt, and cocoa. Set aside. In your electric mixer cream butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, being sure to thoroughly mix each one into the batter. Stir in the vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture. When everything is incorporated, fold in your Andes mint pieces with a wooden spoon or sturdy spatula.

Drop in tablespoon-sized balls on your cookie sheet (for some pretty huge cookies!).

Bake for about 8-10 minutes or just until the edges are set. 

1 comment:

  1. Love Matthew's version of the first Christmas! Luke just received the same set. I'm sure I'll see variations of this in a few years. =)

    ReplyDelete