Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Morning Glory Overnight Oats


Overnight oats have been a popular breakfast preparation among food bloggers for quite a few years now. I first tried a strawberry and coconut version about seven years ago while up at night with a very fussy Matthew. I loved how creamy and refreshing each bite was and how wonderfully convenient it was to have my breakfast all prepared in a mason jar - all I had to do was grab a spoon and munch! For whatever reason though, I fell out of a routine of making a healthy oats-centered breakfast and turned instead to the convenience of boxed cereal. Cereal just doesn't have the staying power of a good bowls of oatmeal but I don't always have time to make oatmeal in the morning - even the thought of nuking a bowl of quick oats is just one extra step that I don't need in the morning while trying to get the kids fed, dressed, and ready. Not to mention walking the dog and making sure he is fed and watered for the morning.

The Ghost of Breakfasts Past visited me when I received an email recipe from The Kitchin. In the email was a recipe for Morning Glory Overnight Oats and I was immediately enticed to make it, remembering fondly how much I loved a good overnight oats recipe and this version sounded irresistible. If you've ever tasted a Morning Glory Muffin, which happens to be one of my favorite treats, you already know that it is packed with the flavors of carrots, raisins, walnuts, coconut, and spice. Just take those same ingredients, add it to a maple-sweetened recipe for overnight oats, and you have Morning Glory Oats! The recipe makes a lot, so I just divided the oats among several mason jars and had my breakfast ready for the week! Bonus, it's portable so you can totally eat this while in line at school drop-off like I did this morning.



Morning Glory Overnight Oats
from kitchin

For the Oats:
3 cups milk
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 red apple, cored and diced (sometimes I add two because apples are amazing)
1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

For serving:
1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

Place all the oat ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Cover the bowl or divide the oat mixture between Mason jars or resealable containers. Refrigerate overnight.

When ready to serve, stir the oats again. Top with the walnuts and coconut flakes before serving.

Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment