Sunday, October 30, 2016

Rice Krispie Treat Monsters for Halloween


We've all seen those adorable Rice Krispie Treat commercials that depict a parent having the most wonderful time preparing Rice Krispie Treats with their children. They are all smiling and laughing as they press the butter/marshmallow/cereal mixture into various shapes and sizes, pausing every now and then to smile and sneak a taste. It just makes it seem like the most perfect family activity is making a batch of ooey, gooey, Rice Krispie Treats.





In my opinion, those commercials are a classic example of false advertising. I think there is no other treat I hate making with the kids more than Rice Krispie Treats. I hate getting my hands super sticky and I don't know if my technique is just off or if there is something more sinister at work but I have such a difficult time getting that marshmallow coated goop into the pan and not all over my fingers, wrists, and clothing. I am usually really, really angry as I am trying to pat it into the pan in an even layer only to have half the batch stick to my hand. I usually end up calling for Paul to come rescue me with a couple additional greased spatulas. In addition, my kids have relatively no interest in helping me other than stuffing as many marshmallows into their face as they can before I can throw them into the mix. Neither of them are a fan of stickiness either, something I find incredibly ironic based on the number of sticky fingerprints I find around the house, and so they are very much against helping me shape and pat the Rice Krispies. Like I said, those commercials are totally false advertising.


However, I do love Rice Krispie Treats and when I saw this adorable idea for Monster Rice Krispie Treats, I thought they would be the perfect little project to make for Halloween with the kids for their friends at school. I figure I could suffer through the sticky mess of making the treats and let the kiddos decorate them. These really couldn't be easier. After you make your Rice Krispie Treats, melt some white chocolate wafers and tint them a bright, fun color like blue, orange, yellow, pink, or green. Then, add candy eyes as desired to create your "monster". Set aside to dry! Done! You can find candy eyes at your nearest craft store - either Michael's or Hobby Lobby. They are a bit pricey, so you can totally make your own using a couple different online tutorials. I chose to buy them rather than make them because I am lazy but also because my kitchen looked like this on the day I decorated these with the kids.


No worries, no drywall powder made its way into the treats.

The kids absolutely LOVED making these. Emma kept cracking herself up as she "designed" each monster. "Haha! This one is going to look so FUNNY!" she kept giggling to herself as she haphazardly placed the eyes on each monster. Of course, she kept taking breaks to eat the toppings, but that's to be expected given her history of swiping sticks of butter. That girl cracks me up so much.

Happy Halloween!


Monster Rice Krispie Treats
recipe for the treats adapted from Cookies and Cups

For the Rice Krispies:
10 tablespoons (142 grams) unsalted butter
3 (10 ounce) bags miniature marshmallows, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
12 cups (317 grams) Rice Krispies cereal

For the Decorations:
Candy eyes of assorted sizes
White Melting Chocolate
Assorted gel food coloring

Coat a single 13x9 pan with cooking spray for thicker, larger treats. For smaller, thinner treats, prepare two 13x9 pans.

In a large saucepan or stockpot, melt the butter and all but about 4 cups of the miniature marshmallows over low heat until the marshmallows are just melted. Stir in the salt and vanilla to combine. Remove the pan from the heat, add the Rice Krispies and mix until it is completely and evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture. Stir in the additional 4 cups of miniature marshmallows.

Turn the mixture out into the prepared pan and, using a wooden spoon or spatula that has been coated in non-stick cooking spray, press the mixture firmly into a packed, even layer. Allow to set at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Cut into desired shapes and set aside while preparing the white chocolate.

Melt the white chocolate in large batches in a microwave at 50% power until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. This probably took me a good 5 minutes but my microwave is a little lower power. Divide immediately into smaller bowls and tint the desired colors you want for your monsters. Spread the chocolate on one half or dip the individual treats into the bowls, using a knife to smooth the top and sides. Immediately stick eyes on in assorted locations. Set aside on a piece of parchment or wax paper and allow to set completely. Repeat with treats. Store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! Aren't they cute, those rice krispie monsters! Your little Ms Emma is looking very pretty in the 5th photo. A blossoming young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so fun!! I always hate getting those in the pan too!

    ReplyDelete