Saturday, January 12, 2013

TWD: Pizza with Onion Confit, Pear, and Gorgonzola


I am incredibly late in posting for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie.  As far as excuses go, I have a really lame one.  I was with my husband on a business trip in Detroit and forgot to upload the pictures of my pizza onto the laptop before leaving.  I really hate to post without a picture to accompany it, so I had to wait until we got back to put this up!  I hope the group will please forgive me for being so late.  I actually made this almost two weeks in advance and felt so proud of myself for being on top of things.  Well, now you all know what a disorganized mess I actually am!


This recipe was easy, fun, and particularly awesome because it could be served for dinner!  I used a combination of red and vidalia onions for the confit.  I found that my confit did take a little longer to reduce, but it might be because I used a smaller pan than specified in the recipe.  After it was finished, I chose to top my pizzas with the confit, sliced pears, Gorgonzola and Parmesan cheese.  No less than 10 minutes later, a beautiful pizza emerged from the oven.  The husband was extremely skeptical about the toppings, but actually ended up really enjoying it.  Plus, I made another pizza with BBQ sauce, shredded chicken, bacon, mozzarella, and the onion confit just in case he would reject my "fancy pants" pizza.  I was pleased when he noted that the onion confit really added something special to the BBQ pizza.  This recipe is a keeper!


As far as the pizza dough is concerned, I was pleased with the results, but I have a couple other pizza dough recipes that have a better flavor and crumb.  I'll probably end up sticking with those in the future.
If you would like to try your hand at the onion confit or pizza dough recipe, please head over to The Boy Can Bake where the recipes are posted in their entirety.

3 comments:

  1. Great photos...interesting flavor profiles.
    Experiencing joy in baking is the ultimate goal...once its forced, its not fun.
    Forgive you? You were never chastised to begin with dear. ;)

    Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pear and gorgonzola - what a lovely combination!
    Don't stress about posting (or when) - ultimately, it has to work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Fabulous looking pizza and the flavors sound divine. I'll have to give this combination a try. This is one recipe I did enjoy.

    ReplyDelete